petak, 4. svibnja 2018.

[Steam] Don't use the in-game overlay web browser! YOU'RE GOING TO GET VIRUSES

Normally, I use Firefox with the NoScript add-on so that I'm safe while surfing the web, but just a little while ago I was playing Fallout New Vegas and, just for convenience sake, I decided to Shift+Tab and use Steam's overlay browser to look up some New Vegas information off of New Vegas Wikia page. I went back into the game and a few minutes later I started hearing audio on my computer about a security error and that I should call a phone number (an obvious scam). I closed out of New Vegas ASAP and saw this pop-up and X'd it out, but the audio was still going.

I quit out of Steam and the audio went away, it was coming from the Steam webbrowser. I'm never using Steam's overlay web-browser ever again. It's unsafe. I've ran full system scans of Windows Defender and Malwarebytes and my system seems clean, I think it was just a pop-up, but I haven't seen anything like this in probably ten years. It also befuddles me because I thought Wikia was a reputable website, but I guess I'm wrong and it is a malicious website when you aren't running NoScript protection.

TL;DR: Do not use the overlay browser in Steam and do not use the internet without being on Firefox with the NoScript add-on.

To add as well, I'm super safe about how I use my computer. I don't pirate anything, I don't download any weird software, and I certainly don't go to weird websites.
Google Analytics Alternative